Saturday, March 20, 2010

What's in a Name?

Nieva Aurora

(Nee-AY-Vuh Uh-Roar-UH)


Nieva:
origin: Spanish
Meaning: Snow; Its snowing

Explanation: Around December of 2003, Jordon and I were out with kristin on her back deck (a historic building in central Sioux Falls), watching a really beautiful peaceful snowfall. Jordon knows Spanish and he said "Nieva," which means -it's snowing- in Spanish. I said "what?" He explained, and we commented that would make a beautiful name for a little girl.

Settled snow can be cold and depressing, but lightly falling snow has always been a sight I've found to be extremely beautiful and calm. One of the few beautiful sights of long depressing winters. He agreed, and so here we are over 6 years later, preparing to welcome Nieva.


Aurora:
origin: Latin
Meaning: Sunrise; Goddess of the Dawn


Explanation: There are a few reasons I like this name. As it says above it is latin for sunrise. When I was a kid I used to love sunrise, but never could make myself get up to watch them. Sometimes I would wait all night long so I could go outside, walk through the dew to the end of our property, and watch the sunrise. Some see great beauty in a rainbow, but I remember my Grandma Boer telling me when I was a kid, that she found the sunset and sunrise to be much more beautiful than a rainbow bc they were there everyday. The symbolism behind a sunrise is apparent to me now. Something beautiful to kick start and represent a new day. I especially remember finding solace in sunrise when things weren't perfact during the day. Evening was quiet and sunrise brought the refreshing scent of dew and harmony or morning birds. Morning birds have also been inspiring to me and its odd that the meaning of Nieva's nickname correlates to them (see below).

I also like the name Aurora bc I am a Disney fan and any little girl knows who Princess Aurora is. I've been told I resemble her a little with my angular facial features and because I sing. At the beginning of the movie 3 fairies bless Aurora with the gifts of beauty, song, life, and love.



Nickname:
AVA

Origin: Latin
Meaning: Like a Bird

Bird's can symbolize a lot of things, but I find this fitting because bird's are free spirits with the gift of song who travel great distances. Jordon and I love music. I sing and Jordon plays drums, and we both enjoy a vast array of music. I hope this passion can be passed along to our little girl. I also like the idea of her being a free spirit as it has contributed so much to my artistic development and both Jordon and I's passion for learning and travelling.


I can't wait to meet our little angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment